Monday, October 17, 2011

A Glorious Future Awaits: Allods

Revolutionary Dawn (please to ignore smokestack)















I re-installed two MMOs this weekend. One was Fallen Earth, because it's gone Free to Play and I always liked it. The other was Allods.

I played Allods in beta, like a lot of other people. I was planning on playing it when it went live, but somehow I never did. It wasn't really because of the infamous cash-shop debacle, although that didn't help. It was mostly that the break between beta and Live, which I remember as being a few weeks, just derailed my attention. When the official Allods launch arrived I was playing something else and I just never really got back to it. (That, by the way, shows the importance for a F2P game in allowing open beta characters to carry over to Live. Most F2Ps do that. Allods didn't. It was a mistake).

Those tabs didn't used to be there!
So, why did I decide to have another bash at Allods after all this time? Well, because of this blog. (And no, I don't mean because the full name of Allods ought to be Allods:Inventory Full either, although lack of bag space is probably the defining trope of the game).

When I got this blog up and running at last I was imagining it would mostly be about writing. I've been writing since I was about seven years old. It's pretty much what I do. Only, just like when I had a website many years ago, back in the homepage day, it turns out that I like fiddling with images as much as I like writing. Maybe more.

I've been trawling through my old screenshots as I prepare these posts. I have a lot of them. I was looking for something else when I ran across my Allods beta screenshots. WoW. Erm, no, wait, that's not what I meant... WOW! Allods takes an absolutely stunning screenshot.

Seasonally Appropriate Screenshot

Looking through them a couple of thoughts popped to mind. I'd just done that post mentioning the good/bad bad/good sides in Rift and it occurred to me that Allods has a similar moral set-up. It also occurred to me that it has almost exactly the same Nature/Religion vs Science/Steampunk dichotomy. And it occurred to me that I'd only really experienced one of those sides.

Sweetness and light...
Just as in Rift I began by playing the Nature/Religion faction, so I did in Allods. Almost all my time in Beta was spent as a Gibberling on the League side. Well, three Gibberlings. And a Squirrel. I'd had a brief look at the Empire capital but about all I remembered was the excellent pastiche Constructivist design.

Until their backs are turned
Anyway, after a fair-to-middling nightmare of a battle with the awful Allods patcher, resolved only by manually downloading the patch files and a new type of unzipper to unpack them, and having to remake a new account from scratch since my old one apparently has time-expired, (you have to wonder if gPotato actually want anyone to play this game) eventually I re-entered Allods as an Orc Shaman of The Empire.

Thus far I am extremely impressed. Details will follow.

3 comments:

  1. I also played during the beta and let time slip away from me and never got back to it. Since I started playing EQ2 Extended after some of your posts and am really having a good time with it, I'll definitely be interested in what you have to say about Allods.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to hear you're enjoying EQ2X. I'm expecting to put a lot of time in there once the Age of Discovery expansion appears, so I thought I'd try and concentrate on some other MMOs until then.

    Spent most of this afternoon taking screenshots in Allods and not getting many quests done. The Empire capital, Nezebgrad, is a great place to explore.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I reinstalled Allods, and my experience was completely different. It installed easily, the patcher worked fine. It uses torrents to stream the patch like a lot of other game patchers and that can be iffy on many networks.

    Interestingly enough, my beta character from the last beta test is still there in all his level 4 glory. However, I logged in and I was dead and had to go to purgatory.

    A LOT has changed since the beta. The game's visuals are a lot better than I remember. One more game to explore, my free time is quickly evaporating.

    ReplyDelete

Wider Two Column Modification courtesy of The Blogger Guide